So I have 3 interviews coming up and preparation is in full swing. Rather – it was in full swing. Until I decided to take a break, went and got a haircut (the worst thing one can do the day before an important interview! Ugh.), had a glass of wine and a nice, long conversation with my husband and planned a quick trip to Hong Kong this December(yay! :)).
[Edit: We ended up going to Singapore instead. All ye interested travelers can drop me an email.]
Since I’m taking a break from preparation, I thought I’d list out some standard interview questions I’m preparing for.
1. Walk me through your resume.
2. Tell me about yourself
3. What are your short term/ long term goals?
4. Why MBA? Why now?
5. Why and how does it fit in with your career plans?
6. How do you plan to get involved/ How will you contribute to ?
7.What do you consider your greatest accomplishment?
8. Tell me about a time you led a team.
9. Tell me about a time you failed.
10. Tell me about a time your manager disagreed with you. What happened? How did you handle it? (or any question about conflict resolution)
11. What is your leadership style? (haven’t quite figured out how to articulate this one yet)
12. What do you consider to be your biggest strength?
13. Tell me about a weakness.
14. What makes you unique from other business school applicants? (another question I really need to spend time on)
15. How do you motivate your team?
That’s about all the questions I’m preparing for. Some people apparently got asked questions like “If you were to pick a dream team for your start up company, which 3 people would you want in your team and why?” Wow. I don’t know how I would have handled that one if it was thrown at me out of the blue in an interview. Then again, it’s impossible to try and prepare for every question that you’re asked. So these 15 questions are the ones I’m thinking through and preparing for and will hope that I don’t get stumped and speechless when thrown a curveball. A big problem I’m trying to work on is my tendency to ramble. Do let me know if there are any other FAQs I should be prepared for that you think I’m missing, and any interview tips would be welcome! Also, what sorts of questions are acceptable to ask the interviewer at the end of the interview, especially if it’s an adcom that’s interviewing you. I’d love to hear what you guys think. Wish me luck! 😀